Saturday, June 30, 2007

My First Accident of My Life

On the rainy Saturday(the rain hasn't stopped yet since my last blog) I was in full josh, because it somehow happens to be a long weekend. Long weekend, which extends beyond the weekend with some leaves on week days. The saddest thing this year is that American Independence Day has fallen just in the mid of the week, no where near to any of the edges of the week, on the awesome Wednesday.

I was in full enthu to have some good fun on Saturday. I came to my friends house, with intention of something to be done(but nothing was there in mind). As the rain had created enough of annoyance since morning, the options that too in Kansas being bare minimal, nothing much other than to go to a movie. I wanted to watch some josh bhara action movie. So we decided we will go and watch "Live Free or Die Hard" which recently released on the movie day Friday.

The movie was so good, filled with only action and really made me feel Live free or Die Hard. All along the movie I was thinking Damn! I don't do anything that risky or anything adventurous where in I really have to think about death anytime. What a safe life! It raised my adrenaline to a good level. After the movie we walked one around the Town Centre Plaza with the thoughts of action & josh of the movie in mind.

Then I came to car and started with the "Khalbali" song of RDB and put in reverse gear and pushed the accelerator. Well! even though the movie had made impact but I was just barely above 0 mph. The mistake was, I saw first time in the rear mirror and went back a little bit and then changed my mind to turn the other way around for which I took a bit forward and then back again in reverse in a different direction. As I was pulling back the car this time suddenly I heard a bang sound. I was not surprised anyway, just thought something minor happened. When I looked back there was a Lexus car on the other side(Thank God I hadn't hit this super costly car) but to my surprise in my rear mirror I could see a Jeep SUV right behind orthogonal to my car. Then we both pulled back and I went out to check the amount of damage.

The damage on the Jeep was just superficial, in my sense and Indian sense it was nothing. But my car back bumper was hit a bit hard. I just told that guy, who looked pretty shrewd and crooked (Was he already my enemy?) that nothing happened we can just walk over. He started saying why don't we share the insurance information and then use it for claim. The greatest problem I was facing in my mind was that I didn't knew what is the process or the procedure. Damn! Knowledge is always power, (I like the converse proverb too "Ignorance is Bliss"). So I asked him and then he called the cop. My first encounter with cop as a bakra in the whole situation. I was just ready to face anything, my first experience and I was not wrong, after all an accident happens accidentally. Then cop came and was just cool said if something is above $1000 (my eyes started rotating hearing this) then a report has to be written else we can just share the insurance info. Whatever! we did it and I got rid of it, actually I didn't knew what exactly is the next thing to be and what is the impact overall on me. I asked the same question to cop and his answer was not satisfactory to me.

As this was my first encounter to something like a accident(it no where qualifies as a accident at all as nothing absolutely nothing), but it had kicked a bit on my faith in driving which expands more than 11 years. I tried so much to take it off from my mind. The whole adrenaline got down to zero level like hawa after a flat tire. Went to Taco bell to have something and tried to forget about it. I just was wondering how can some incidents impact so much on mind and mood and things like that.

Like a typical software engineer I am downloaded all that junk data from my mind to this e-paper and deleted that memory from my mind. I think it is deleted now!.....

Deleting 100%......70%.....50%.......30%.....10%.........0%

14 comments:

8Mile said...

Hmm..looks like a very adventurous experience dude. Well, I can picture all this.. very clearly..haha why not, I was on the passenger front seat and was a 'lucky' company to have witnessed this incident. Such things we cant avoid dude, some how, some way it has to happen and it's our fate after all. Anyway, forget this minute thing and rock driving on US roads again !! It was just another day man !!

8Mile said...

Next time Mercedes/cadillac ko thokna ;-)) haha..maza aayega ;-)

Srini said...

Well! thanks for consoling me, I agree, it was nothing. We talked to each other on this, still the written communication kind of sounds different. I am back on track...

8Mile said...

And anyway most of the time it's not our fault, still we feel we have done a big mistake. I think wiping out this incident as a bad dream is very good idea. Chill dude, even the cop was least bothered about all this and rem? he said 'take it easy' while leaving ;-)

Pok Boy said...

You guys are having a cool time smashing cars.huh
when i left the movie...my girlfriend said..hope that the movie had all scenes pertaining to cars and not bikes..otherwise main bhi josh main aakar kuch lafda karta tha....

why didn't u tried bribing the cop ....like an Indian way....hahaha

8Mile said...

Btw Srini, the above scrap is from Nitin(my friend).

You know what...pok boy..The cop was very cool and he treated our mistake like as if it's commited by some small lil kid. He handle it with sensitivity. Agar paisa khiltaa, then he would have kicked us real hard. Thats the way it works here man, In apna country, cops kick us to extract paisa from us...;-)

Pok Boy said...

I knw that man... that was just a funnny line by me...

US ROCKSSSSSSSSSS! and the cops tooo

Ramkrishna Kulkarni said...

i crossed my fingers when i heard about the lexus car behind!

Sameer said...

I thought that you'd really smashed up something, the way you built up the tempo... the end was an anti-climax!

Unknown said...

So you had your turn....way to go...
Frankly, were you looking at some hot chick while backing? If yes, you will remember this accident for your life for sure....you just can't delete that face:)

Anonymous said...

Is this the first accident in your life?? Good man 11 years and 1 accident is a very good track record.
I think you would have had a learning experience though (of dealing with the COPs ;-)).

Sanjeev Kulkarni said...

Hmmm...Accident, causing even the least degree of pain or suffering, is
a reason for concern...

Drive Safely, Dude!
Anyways, Conrats on your track record.

Take Care!!!

Sanjeev Kulkarni said...

Nice Blog...though :-)

Unknown said...

Careful next time buddy. Anyway it is good to have an experience of this sort once in a while...